As of March 23, 2020, it is still considered safe to exercise (e.g. walk, jog, or cycle) outdoors with members of your own household. Here a few recommendations for exercising safely at this time:
1. Avoid exercising in busy areas like popular public parks and trails. These busy locations make it very difficult to stay two meters away from others!
2. Exercise instead on wide, uncrowded trails, pathways, or sidewalks that allow you to stay 2 meters from others.
3. When passing, be sure to say hello (and smile!) from a distance. However, as you approach another person or group of people, avoid talking, sneezing, coughing or breathing heavily in their direction.
4. If you find yourself passing another person or group on a narrow trail or sidewalk, safely step to the side of the trail and give them room to pass.
5. Do not exercise if you are noticeably sick.
Here are some additional resources for staying active during this time.
Our community partner, Just Walk, has some excellent resources on the benefits of walking, safely considerations and provides a downloadable walking log. https://justwalk-hb.weebly.com/walking-resources.html
From Soup to Tomatoes was developed by a Registered Nurse and Diabetes Educator. She provides videos on chair-based exercise programs that you can access via her YouTube channel. All you need is a chair, some space to move and some light weights, or cans of soup. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOMO_bx4Y2l0jhkQtfHppQw/featured